Monitoring and reporting on SDG 6
Through the UN-Water Integrated Monitoring Initiative for SDG 6, the United Nations seeks to support countries in monitoring water- and sanitation-related issues within the framework of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and in compiling country data to report on global progress towards SDG 6. The Initiative brings together the United Nations organizations that are formally mandated to compile country data on the SDG 6 global indicators.
About the SDG 6 Data Portal
The SDG 6 Data Portal, one of the flagship products of the Initiative, brings together data on all the SDG 6 global indicators and other key social, economic and environmental parameters. Through maps, charts and tables, the portal offers tailored options for visualization and analysis of the data, including on interlinkages. As such, the portal complements the Global SDG Indicators Database and indicator-specific databases.
The objectives of the portal are to:
- Track overall progress towards SDG 6 at global, regional and national levels.
- Enable assessment and analysis of the state of water resources and linkages to other sectors.
- Raise awareness of water and sanitation issues to help catalyse action.
- Encourage and improve SDG 6 monitoring and reporting at all levels.
- Be an entry point to the wealth of water and sanitation information available within the UN system.
About the donors
The Integrated Monitoring Initiative is funded by voluntary contributions by external support agencies that wish to support SDG 6 monitoring and reporting: Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland. In addition, custodian agencies are receiving voluntary contributions from other support agencies that wish to support capacity building, data collection and reporting for individual indicators.